Friday, August 13, 2010

Staying Home with Egyptians : )

So, yesterday I still felt terrible. I woke up at 7 am with a slight fever and took some more Tylenol. I went back to sleep but my throat felt so swollen and like it was on fire. I started to break down because I just felt so bad. CJ is such a sweetheart and told me that I should just stay home while they went to the farm. I knew that is what I had to do but I didn't want to, I wanted to feel better. So we then made our way to Papa's house where we had lunch. I couldn't eat hardly anything because I was feeling nauseous, but I tried to eat as much as I could. Watching the team leave was really hard, but I knew that there was no way I could go with them and work. I then got a great opportunity to spend the night with an amazing egyptian family. We watched egyptian TV. haha. The language here sounds like a mixture of german and greek, and I sometimes hear some spanish words in there. lol. Needless to say, I fell asleep at 10:00 pm. At 11 Mama, who is such a sweet sweet woman, woke me up and gave me a sandwich and some water. I then went back to bed where until 11 am when I woke up. I prayed that my throat would feel better. The left side of my throat wasn't as swollen, but the right side seemed huge. haha. but only the right side hurt today which is a huge improvement. I took a shower and then sat and talked with the kids. We had breakfast which consisted of a huge pan of shredded wheat with raisens and nuts. You pour warm milk over it so it kind of tastes like warm shredded wheat cereal. I talked with Mama a lot about the culture here and how it is amazing to see God working in the hearts of people here in egypt just like he is working in the hearts of people in the US. One thing I learned was that the islamic religion is not a relationship driven religion at all. The muslims can do all the prayers and go through the motions of the religion and then do what ever they like after they have checked all the boxes of their religion. Ramadan is a month where all their sins are forgiven. So, if they fast, then they can have all their sins forgiven then still sin whenever they want to because they have fasted. Drugs and alcohol are okay in the Islamic faith, as long as they partake in Ramadan or go to Mecca (which forgives all their sins and makes them like a baby). These are just a few things I picked up in our conversation this morning. Mama told me, "We have such a treasure. We find our strength and joy in Jesus. Even though we may go through a hard time, we still give it all to God so that he is in control. We don't have to worry about it because he has it all under control." I feel like that is a truth that we take for granted. The Islamic culture knows no relationship with God, they just think that if I can do all these prayers and check off the boxes, than I will get to heaven, but they lack the relationship with God that will help them through the everyday things.

It is 1:40 pm on friday, and I THANK all of you who have prayed for my health. I am so excited about the things God is doing in Egypt and you guys are such a huge part of it in prayer. I know these next 8 days will be vital in what we are going to do here, and I ask you guys for prayer in our health and our journey here. Love you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment